Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Land

We had a bit of a scare yesterday here in my little town. A car accident off the highway became a car fire, which ignited the hillside - which hasn't seen rain since May - which quickly spread up the hill into town.









I raced home from work after hearing from both my husband and our neighbor that evacuations of some parts of town were beginning. I arrived to a swarm of helicopters dropping water on the fire, and fire trucks stationed throughout town.


The air was thick with smoke, smelling like a campfire. After living in California for so long, I'm finally starting to associate that smell with danger, and not fun.

Nobody had to be evacuated due to the competence of the local firefighters. I'm tremendously grateful for their knowledge and work.

Here's a little jewelry homage to them...

No comments: