Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Education

I've just passed my big Colored Stone exam (woo hoo!), and now I'm on to the final leg of my Graduate Gemologist journey. One course left, and it's bound to be the most fun. Gem ID will bring with it 500 different gemstones for me to get to know and identify, needing to provide their group, species, variety, and any treatments. For example: Corundum/Synthetic Sapphire/Flame Fusion. I'll have to wear a detective outfit when I do my work.

I've been reviewing my materials from GIA (Gem Institute of America), and am a bit overwhelmed with both how much there is to know, and how much I've learned. Also, how much there will always be left to learn.

I don't begin my new coursework until Tuesday, so until then I can enjoy some casual reading. I just finished a locally-published booklet about California jade, and am now on to reading more about the diamond trade and De Beers' participation in it. This is the third book I've read about the diamond industry, and they've all included different parts. Like I said, always a lot left to learn...

No comments: